A newly renovated Northumbrian stone home designed to offer groups a beautiful space to relax, celebrate and explore all Northumberland has to offer with a wheelchair friendly downstairs bedroom and shower room. Sleeps 10.
Hollin House occupies the rear wing of Highgreen Manor, which was built in 1894 by Sir Charles Morrison- Bell Bt., who owned coal mines in Co. Durham. The architect was CW Ancell, and his design for the Manor combined two separate dwellings on the site into the building that exists today.
Hollin House was originally a farm worker’s house. It was likely built in the early 19th century, possibly before and would have been very simple structure, probably two rooms upstairs and two downstairs rooms, with later additions.
When it became part of the Manor it was further extended to serve as accommodation for domestic staff but after WW2, when many of the staff had left, it lay empty for many years until the 1960s when it was split into two dwellings for farm workers on Highgreen Estate.
In recent years the property was once again empty and much in need of attention. So William & Cynthia Morrison-Bell embarked on a major restoration project, working with Newton Architects, which was completed in 2022. The result is the bright and spacious property offering stunning group accommodation over five bedrooms, five bathrooms including a wheelchair friendly downstairs bedroom and wet room.
While many older features have been retained, such as the large fireplace in the sitting room, elsewhere there is a decidedly contemporary feel, with special attention to detail. The main entrance and staircase are good examples, the latter using wood from the Estate to create a unique and eye catching feature.
map / Location
terms & conditions
- All online and telephone bookings are provisional until confirmed in writing by Wooden Star Cottages Ltd.
- Hollin House has a minimum night stay of two or three nights subject to season.
- Wooden Star Cottages will pass on to guests, in full, after we have confirmed a booking, all costs or charges the owner makes to us which are connected to your booking.
- All prices are for the property as a whole and are not a per person basis.
- A deposit of 30% of the total booking cost is required at the time of the booking being confirmed. The balance to be paid 28 days prior to your stay.
- Covid Booking Guarantee supercedes standard terms.
- The owners reserve the right to alter the booking arrangement in the event of unforeseen circumstances, if they do Wooden Star Cottages will contact you on their behalf as soon as possible. If cancellation by the owner is necessary, the monies received shall be returned in full.
- The property is available from 4pm on day of arrival until 10am on the day of departure.
- Guests shall keep the property and all furniture and fittings in the same state of cleanliness and general order in which it was found and report any damage of breakages before departure.
- The owner shall not be liable for any loss or damage to personal property or any injury during your stay.
- The number of persons using the property shall not exceed the maximum number stated on the property details.
- In the event of cancellation – the 30% deposit is non-refundable. If a booking is cancelled less than 7 days before the date of arrival a charge equal to 50% of the stay will be charged. A no show or reduction in the stay will incur the full amount of the booking.
- All prices quoted include VAT.
- All of our properties are smoke free apart from designated areas indicated in the welcome information at the property. Owners reserve the right to make a reasonable charge where guests have contravened this policy.
- Guests right to occupy the property may be forfeited without compensation if:
- Any activity takes place which is deemed illegal or may cause unreasonable damage, noise or disturbance.
- Smoking takes place in the property.
- More guests than declared at the time of booking take up occupation.
- The owner or a representative from Wooden Star Cottages Ltd shall be allowed to enter the property at any reasonable time with prior notice or without in the event of an emergency during occupancy by guests.
- Wooden Star Cottages Ltd have compiled information on our website as accurately as possible at the time of guests booking the property, however facilities may be altered or withdrawn for reasons outside of our control, in which case we cannot accept responsibility. We make every effort to ensure that the property details are accurately reproduced. Guests are advised that if a specific facility is required it should be requested through us prior to your stay. Guests should accept that minor differences between text & photographs on the website and the actual property may arise and Wooden Star Cottages Ltd cannot take responsibility should any of the properties not conform to the guests’ standards or expectation.
- In the event of there being cause for complaint concerning a property, the matter should be taken up with a representative from Wooden Star Cottages Ltd in the first instance immediately, it is important that this is done while guests are still at the property, so an on-the-spot investigation can by carried out fairly and remedial action taken if required and possible.
- The booking conditions will apply to all confirmed bookings.
- These website Booking Conditions supersede all previous editions.