The short term forecast the weather in Northumberland is looking fantastic! Sunny, mild and clear skies- Perfect Wall Walking Weather! We have late availability on Seal Cottage in Hexham and Shellbraes Farmhouse and Studio in Great Whittington ideal for larger walking groups or two in the studio! Both perfect bases to explore the wall from!
Perfect Wall Walking from Seal Cottage
It’s a short but stunning drive from Hexham to The Sill Discovery Centre. Here you can park and use the amenities. You can have look at the exhibitions, displays and local arts and crafts. Take in the view from the grass roof terrace and have one of the best bacon butties ever before you set off!
Route – Once Brewed, Roman Vindolanda and Housesteads. Circular route of 7.5 miles/4.5 hours. Harder walk with several steep slopes.
- Leave The Sill, crossing the B6318 signposted Steel Rigg.
- Join the Hadrian’s Wall Path National Trail via the gate before you reach Steel Rigg car park. This route signposted Housesteads. Travel Eastwards towards Housesteads Roman Fort and Museum.
- After a visit to the highly recommended Housesteads Fort and Museum, follow the tarmac road down to the B6318 Military Road, you will see an old farmhouse. Turn right and in only a few yards cross the road over a ladder stile with a sign for Crindledykes.
- In just under a mile turn right onto a road.
- Look out for a second road on the right marked Roman Vindolanda. Another attraction highly recommended. Continue on the single track road around the back of the site and back onto the Stanegate.
- Turn right signed posted back to The Sill.
You have probably worked up a great appetite for lunch or afternoon tea back at the The Sill. Alternatively head along to the affectionally named “Twicey”. The Twice Brewed Pub for refreshments!
Perfect Wall Walking from Shellbraes Farmhouse and Shellbraes Studio
Another short but beautiful drive from Shellbraes Farm to Chesters Roman Fort where you can start this walk.
Route – Chesters and Humshaugh. Circular route of 2.5 miles/1-1.5 hours. Easy route.
- Start at Chesters Roman Fort walking up a quiet lane turning to the right onto Lincoln Hill.
- At crossroads turn right signposted “Cycle Byway”
- After 1/2mile cross the main road towards Humshaugh.
- Amazing views can be seen here from the war memorial then walk on through the village.
- From the village follow the road back to Chollerford and Chesters Roman Fort.
From here a you can take short drive to very special Walwick Hall. Although they have a formal restaurant the bar is informal and they have lovely terrace serving a range of meals, snacks and drinks. Afternoon tea is wonderful be must be booked ahead.
Further walking routes and guides to difficulty level and times can be found on www.hadrianswallcountry.co.uk
Cottage late availability and prices can be found here!